Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the CLE located?

Every campus has a CLE that provides tutoring in many subjects that are offered at that specific campus. There is also a CLE Writing Center located within the Pecan library that provides paper review and tutoring for humanities courses. To see each campus CLE's hours of operation and building location, please visit our Hours & Contacts page. To see area and campus maps, visit our Campuses page.

What are your hours?

To see each campus CLE's hours of operation, please visit our Hours & Contacts page.

Is there a tutoring limit?

All tutoring (in-person or online) is free. Although there is not an overall limit to in-person tutoring, each session is limited to 30 minutes at our Pecan and Mid-Valley campuses. Once the session time is over, students can sign up for a new session; however, students will be encouraged to work autonomously in between sessions to cultivate a student’s confidence and empower students to practice utilizing the skills they acquire in tutoring sessions independently.

We contract tutoring hours through a company called Upswing to make after-hours tutoring available. All students are allotted three (3) hours of Upswing tutoring at the beginning of each semester. If you use your three (3) hours of Upswing tutoring and would like to request more, you can submit an Online Tutoring Hours Request form through our Rules & Guidelines page. Tutoring with CLE tutors is not subject to the three (3) hour limit.

Where can I find tutor schedules?

Tutor schedules, along with appointment availability, are available on the Tutoring page of our website. Some tutors, such as our nursing tutors, are full-time professionals with schedules that change frequently, so you will need to contact the CLE to get their schedules for a particular week.

Can I request an appointment with a tutor?

Yes. Online and in-person tutoring at the CLE is all conducted by appointment. For details and tutor schedules visit our Tutoring page. You can also contact the CLE with any questions.

Where can I get my essay or assignment reviewed?

Writing tutors are available by appointment, on-site at the Mid-Valley, Nursing & Allied Health, Pecan, and Starr County CLEs. Writing tutors can review any writing assignment (essay, research paper, résumé, Blackboard discussion, etc.). You will receive a paper review summary form from your tutor at the end of the session to turn in with your essay/assignment to your instructor or to keep for your own records. You may also choose to have your paper reviewed through CLE’s Online Writing Support service. This involves submitting your paper electronically and received feedback from a tutor within 24-48 hours. Find out more on our Writing Center page.

Do you have textbooks?

Some textbooks are available at all campus CLEs. Textbooks are only checked out for two hours and must remain in the center. By contacting your campus CLE, you can ask if a specific textbook is available for check out.

Where do I go to get help with the TSIA?

Although face-to-face TSI prep workshops have been temporarily suspended, you can still prep individually with a CLE tutor. You can choose a Quick Review or Comprehensive Review appointment. Learn more or make an appointment through the Workshops page.

You can also find sample questions and practice tests on our Helpful Links page.

How do I access StudentLingo workshops?

StudentLingo workshops are available online through our Workshops page. Our Academic Coaches also provide workshops to teach valuable skills, such as Time Management.

How do study rooms work?

Study room check-out is available on a first come first serve basis. Study rooms use varies from center to center, so contact your CLE to check for availability.

What services are available to online students?

All services (in-person or online) are available to distance learning students. The CLE specifically supports online students with tutoring, academic coaching, and workshops. Faculty and students with other learning support needs may contact any of the Campus CLE Coordinators.

What services are available to STC students in high school?

All services (in-person or online) are available to South Texas College students enrolled in our partner high schools. These services include tutoring, academic coaching, and workshops. Faculty or students with other learning support needs may contact any of the Campus CLE Coordinators.

Can people who are not STC students use the CLE?

South Texas College proudly serves Hidalgo and Starr county residents. If you live in Hidalgo or Starr county, you may request a free community user card from the STC Library. Community users may use many of the CLE's services, such as tutoring, computers, and study rooms. Please visit our Community User section on our Rules & Guidelines page to learn more. Note that some services may be temporarily unavailable due to COVID-19 response measures.

Are you hiring?

The CLE is always hiring employees to work as Student Learning Assistants (tutors) and Supplemental Instruction Leaders. Other positions, such as Clerks, are not always available. South Texas College employs part-time students and non-students. Visit our CLE Job Opportunities page to see the job descriptions for each position. There is also a link to the South Texas College Human Resources website where you can learn how to apply for these positions. For more information, please contact your campus CLE.

back to top