Financial Aid: Get More Cash for College

It's a new year-and it's time to apply for financial aid. Get started early this year so you can make the most of the aid available to you.

In Texas, most financial aid sources use the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine the amount of money each student is eligible to receive. The steps listed below will help you complete the financial aid process.

Plan ahead! An application must be completed each academic year that you wish to receive financial aid (for example, the 2017-2018 FAFSA is for the Fall 2017, Spring 2018, and Summer 2018 semesters). Keep in mind that the priority deadline is March 15th, so submit your application as quickly as possible to allow time for processing. Students and parents can complete the FAFSA online at


Gather Documents Needed to Apply

  1. Your Social Security card (and your parents', if dependent)
  2. Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  3. Your (and your spouse's, if married) Income Tax Return
  4. Your Parents' Income Tax Return (if you are a dependent student)
  5. Your W-2 forms and other records of money earned
  6. Any untaxed income records including child support paid or received
  7. Your current bank statements
  8. Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records


Complete Your FAFSA - Priority Deadline is March 15th

Missed priority deadline? Don't worry. You can still apply throughout the year because funds are typically available year round.


Important Things to Remember

If you are selected for Verification respond promptly with requested documentation. Please remember to resubmit a FAFSA for each school year.

Frequently Asked Questions

If parents are not willing to show their kids their income tax information, what can they do?
Students would not be considered independent of their parents because they refuse to help you with this process. If a student does not provide their parents information on the FAFSA, the application will be considered “rejected.” The options would be, student loans, scholarships, or payment plans.

However, if the student has a special circumstance (e.g. in an abusive situation), they would need to file a dependency override appeal with the financial aid office. They would need to let the financial aid office know about their circumstance, provide proof, and reference letters from other who know about their situation (e.g. counselor, teacher, etc.). If their dependency override is approved, they will be able to complete their FAFSA without parental information.

Can I get assistance filing the application?
Students may visit any South Texas College campus for assistance in completing the FAFSA.

My parents are not legal residents, do I still qualify?
Yes. Parents’ citizenship status does not affect eligibility for federal student aid. The FAFSA does not ask about parents’ citizenship status.

I’m not a legal resident, is there any assistance for me?
As specified by Senate Bill 1528, Texas law permits students that are neither US citizens nor permanent residents to be classified as Texas residents for admissions and financial aid purposes, thus making them eligible for state aid.

Where can I get information on scholarships?
Students may create a profile at FastWeb! is a scholarship database that will match you with available scholarships. Students may also visit their respective college or university’s scholarship website for more information.