The South Texas College was created on September 1, 1993, by Texas Senate Bill 251 to serve Hidalgo and Starr counties. A confirmation election, held on August 12, 1995, established a taxing district for the college. Seven districts, based on population, were also approved for single- member representation on the Board of Trustees. A community leader from each of the seven districts was originally appointed by Governor Ann Richards to serve on the founding Board of Trustees. Since then, elections have been held for all of the seats, and all members have been elected as of May 2002.
South Texas College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Baccalaureate and Associate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of South Texas College.
South Texas College's offerings are approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and the Texas Education Agency.